Digital Marketing has become an intrinsic part of everybody’s lives in today’s era. People use it as a playground to update their daily lives and businesses network with potential clients, which helps their business flourish.
The emergence of Digital Marketing since 1990 and 2000 has changed the way brands and businesses use technology for marketing. Digital Platforms are being increasingly incorporated into everyday lives and marketing plans. People use digital devices and services instead of visiting physical shops. All this and more has fuelled the need for more efficient digital marketing campaigns.
What is Digital Marketing?
The marketing of products or services with the help of digital technologies mainly on the internet is termed as Digital marketing. Digital marketing also includes other digital mediums, such as mobile phones and display advertising.
Digital marketing is different from traditional marketing in that it enables businesses to analyze marketing campaigns to understand what works well with their business and what does not.
Why is Digital Marketing essential?
- The pervasive nature of digital marketing makes information available to consumers at any time and any place they want.
- Digital media is an endless source of entertainment, news, social media interaction.
- Consumers are more interested in knowing not just what a company is talking about their brand, but also the reviews of media, friends, peers, and relatives.
- Digital marketing monitors what is being viewed and for how long.
- Digital marketing monitors sales conversions.
- The efficacy of content -what content is working for you and what is not, is monitored with the help of digital marketing.
The three keys to Digital Marketing success are:
- Manage complex customer relationships across a variety of digital channels.
- Respond and initiate customer interactions dynamically.
- Extract value from bigger data to facilitate better and fast decision making.
Based on these three keys, Karma Technologies, digital agency Hong Kong has come up with nine best digital marketing practices that every business must incorporate to adapt to ever-evolving technology and give an impetus to the growth of their business.
9 Digital marketing best practices 2020
1. Make use of chatbots
—–Statistics reveal that in 2020 more than 85% of consumer interactions will be handled without human-beings.
Chatbots are strongly in trend in the market for corporations from all areas.
Chatbots are conversational interfaces. In other words, they are systems that are programmed to respond and interact with messages from humans automatically. Chatbots can be integrated into various media and channels activated by voice or text.
Chatbots are essential for your business!
- Chatbots reduce customer waiting time.
- Bots are available 24X 7 with immediate answers to common questions for customers.
- Bots engage customers with proactive conversation.
- Personalized recommendations from bots enhance the customer experience.
- Chatbots can handle any number of customer conversations during peak hours without incurring additional costs on service.
- Chatbots help save customer service costs of hiring more agents such as salary, training costs, and infrastructure costs.
- Chatbots keep the customers hooked and help to reduce the bounce rate.
However, chatbots should be deployed correctly else; they will fail to deliver seamless, consistent, and efficient results for your business.
You can use chatbots for the following areas of your business:
- Gather initial information from leads.
- Have a chatbox schedule, a sales call, or an onboarding session for you.
- Don’t waste your resources, answering the commonly asked questions. Use chatbots to answer your FAQs.
- Use chatbots to greet your customers when they land on your website.
There are plenty of platforms that you can employ to build your chatbox and integrate it on your website.
Chatbot best practices
- Keep your chat box strategy and conversations you program into your chat box simple.
- Think in terms of “If/Then.” For example, -If a customer asks a question, then send a particular answer, and if he has an issue outside its programming, then send an email to the customer.
- Make your chatbots conversational, and don’t forget to add warmth and personality into your chatbox.
- Use chatbots as a supplement to humans rather than a replacement for humans. Chatbots can be used to make simple conversations. For complex ones, humans have to intervene.
2. Voice search
In the year 2020 and beyond, Voice search will represent a great transition towards another more advanced means of gathering information and interacting with the objects around us.
Some of the best practices to strengthen voice search are:
Focus on featured snippets
Featured snippets play a vital role in optimizing voice search—Google Assistant goes through featured snippets to answer queries.
Optimize your content for voice search
Research on the queries asked by people before writing content for voice search. Avoid jargon because people ask questions in simple natural language.
Optimize your website speed
If your website takes more than 3 seconds to load, you cannot make use of voice search opportunities.
Stick to mobile-friendliness
Since most of the voice searches are done through mobile phones, your website must be mobile-friendly.
Boost up local SEO
22% of searches are made to find local businesses. It is essential that your business listing and NAP data are updated and consistent if you want to reap the benefits offered by voice searches. View Local SEO Checklist
Focus on user intent
While optimizing the website for voice search, stick to, long-tail, conversational keyword phrases in your content. This will help you answer natural language questions more effectively.
Personalized Marketing or one to one marketing is becoming increasingly popular amongst marketers. Every marketer is trying to add a ‘personal touch’ while dealing with their customers.
Some statistics that suggest the importance of personalized marketing are:
- 48% of consumers like to spend more when their experience is personalized.
- 90% of marketers believe that personalization is the future.
- 74% of consumers get vexed when the content has nothing to do with them
Successful Personalized Marketing involves three main aspects:
- Gathering all the information about the customers. This information may be the products that they liked previously and are likely to appreciate in the future.
- Analyze the collected data
- Recommend products or current offers based on past behavior or other data.
Some of the best practices for personalized marketing are:
Understand your customer
Have a clear understanding of who your customers are and what they are looking for. Study their behavior, personality, and demographics deeply.
Incorporate a statement on the company’s privacy policies declaring beforehand to the consumer what information will be collected and how your business will use it. It gives an assurance to the customer that their data will not be used in any bad interest.
Real-Time decision making
Utilize customer data when they are active on your site and before they move on to another site. Doing this will help you deliver the right message at the right time.
Delivering the right message at the right time and through the right channel is essential. For example, you cannot always rely on email marketing. Many times delivering personalized content on the site or running paid ads can serve you much better.
Pay attention to your customers
Track very closely and keenly the signals generated by customers all the time. Customers give buying signals and off signals, which should be latched on to in real-time to help marketers deliver the relevant message timely.
4. Video Marketing
Brands are increasingly using video content marketing as part of their digital marketing campaigns. If executed correctly, it can yield some considerable ROI for your business. You will see more video marketing in 2020 and beyond.
Some of the best practices of marketing video content are:
Don’t just sell- Offer value to your customers.
Tell a story visually, keeping it short and straightforward. Don’t just focus on selling your product. Offer customers something in return for engaging in your content.
Your video should pass the silent movie test.
Your video should be so engaging that your customer should be compelled to watch the full length of your video without turning on the audio. This is the test that every video must go through before it gets finally posted. Customers have a very little attention span, and if your video is able to engage them for the first five seconds- the video will work for your marketing plan.
Your video should be mobile friendly.
The video should work well on mobile phones as the majority of online activity is conducted on mobile phones.
Incorporate user-generated content
Locals and visitors continually make great videos around your brand and share them on social media channels. Seek their permission to incorporate such content in your videos.
Convey a clear and focussed customer message.
After watching your video, the message of your video should be clear to your customer. They should be able to derive the importance of your brand in their lives once they have gone through your video.
Lead the viewer to an action.
Your video must lead the viewer to complete some activity or CTA that benefits your business.
5. Featured snippets.
Featured snippets have tremendous potential to tap organic traffic and to increase the visibility of your website. Featured snippets can help your business leapfrog competition to position zero. They are going to form an integral part of digital marketing campaigns in 2020 and beyond.
Some best practices are:
Analyze keyword opportunities
Use the right tools to target the most appropriate keywords for your business.
Use strategic content to target snippets.
Keeping the content natural, create new content keeping featured snippets in mind. Never forget user needs and experiences while implementing ideas.
Incorporate FAQ in your content
Try to incorporate FAQ in your content and dedicate one complete page for a single question.
Slice up your copy with subheadings, lists, and tables.
Well structured page sections make it easier for Google to determine what content is most relevant to a given search query.
Revaluate existing snippets.
It is important to reevaluate and edit existing snippets to ensure a constant flow of traffic at all times.
6. Social Commerce and shoppable posts.
The significance of social commerce in digital marketing will not pass away and is here to stay in 2020 and beyond.
Social commerce makes life easier, comfortable, and smaller such as the famous global village. It infuses new energies into your business and revolutionizes the way of doing business.
Social Commerce is done in the following forms:
- Facebook has crossed 61% of users on the net.
- Instagram shoppable posts- More than 200 million users visit at least one business profile each day.
- Pinterest- 47% of social media users view Pinterest as the best platform for discovering products.
Use user-generated content to empower your marketing.
Suppose a customer tags your brand in his Instagram post , then you should share it in your story to engage users. His practice fosters trust in your business and attracts new customers.
Set aside a budget to hire social influencers to get your products seen.
Think native for each social media platform – understand how each platform works for users and not just businesses.
7. Omnichannel Marketing
Omnichannel marketing is a modern approach to commerce that aims at providing an excellent experience for customers at every touchpoint. This is different from traditional marketing, where individual channels were optimized without considering user experience as a whole.
Omnichannel marketing has the following facets:
- In Omnichannel marketing, the customer forms the core of all marketing activities.
- All efforts are directed towards polishing the (CX) by unifying experiences of individual channels.
- The unified experience makes consistent messaging easy throughout the buyer journey. This facilitates seamless content experiences and, therefore, conversions.
Best Practices of Omnichannel Marketing
Project a consistent brand voice
Ensure that you have a consistent brand voice across all channels. This helps in better CX and brand recognition. The customers can thus progress through the funnel without any hitch.
Be Device -Agnostic
The form, text, fields, and other elements on your website should be readable across all devices. An average internet user accesses your site on multiple devices.
Implement customer service software
Businesses should consider investing in customer service software because explaining the same problem to customer care over and over again first via email, then on social media, can be unnerving.
Enable self-service for customers
Customers favor quick responses to their queries. There can be two obstacles in this regard:
- It may take time to connect with the customer care representative.
- Chatbots have their limitations, and you cannot rely on them solely.
Empower your customers such that they can resolve basic issues on their own. This can be done via the FAQ section, which answers commonly asked questions. Other methods are instructional videos, user forums, or a self-service portal.
Test and Persist
Test your marketing channels, messages, rich media, processes, persistently, and continually to gauge what works and what does not.
8. Privacy Marketing
Privacy and security of customer information on the internet has become a social and political issue globally. You need to earn the trust of your target audience.
Show social evidence so that your customers can trust your brand.
Consumers know that handing over their data will give them a more personalized shopping experience. Be transparent and educate your customers about the way you will use their data. Give them complete freedom to rethink about letting their information out on the internet.
Give value to your customers in return for the information that they will let out on your site. This will cultivate trust for your brand. Exclusive discounts, loyalty cards are a great way of doing so.
Often there are moments when people turn to a device such as a smartphone for performing some kind of activity. It may be to know about something, watch a video, or to purchase something.
These are intent -rich moments, often termed as micro-moments. These moments need to be tapped by marketers as purchasing decisions can be made during this time.
Identify your customers-
Research about your customers may be through conversations with them or online discussions. You need to know how, where, and when purchasing decisions are being made by your customers.
Be present in the moments of need
Once you have completed your research, you are required to develop a comprehensive strategy that functions well across multiple channels and be there when the customer turns to a channel in reflex for his needs.
Create useful and relevant content
Apart from being there, you also need to know the type of answers sought by your customers and create content that serves useful to them.
Simplify the Purchasing Process
Make purchasing as easy as can be. Instructions should abound, and clicks should be kept to a minimum.
Digital media continues to grow rapidly, while the marketing budgets are expanding. Following the best practices teamed up by Karma Technologies will go a long way to developing loyalty and trust in your brand. So gear up with all your marketing efforts to engage with your customers like never before!